Sunday, April 24, 2016

KELLY TIGERSEX: SINGER of the Band TIGER SEX

She is raw, in your face, and full of passion.... She is


 KELLY TIGERSEX! 

I met Kelly a couple years ago at the bar Mayday (now known as the Northside Yacht Club). Her band TIGER SEX was putting on a free show. She greeted me with a smile and said she was, "happy to see I could make it." We had been playing Facebook tag with messages. My impression of  Kelly was she seemed kind, honest, genuine, and possibly a woman with something up her sleeve. Man, was I in for a tremendously happy surprise.  She was all that, and then some.  She came out with guns blazing!




Kelly TigerSex is originally from Las Vegas. Her and her band made a conscious decision to move to Cincinnati to further the band's career. Let's look at where it all began...

TIGER SEX was created in 2012 but their first show was in 2013. As Kelly explains, "Kei (guitar) had a band called Tinglerz in Vegas and I was infatuated with that rock 'n roll band. I would dirty dance to them all night!"



"One Day we started hanging out and he told me I should sing after we jammed a little bit... I was like 'no way,' but after singing a bit we naturally started writing together and it became clear we had to start a band. TIGER SEX was born."





Kelly shares about her music inspiration, you can really see and hear her passion for music and how these artists have their influences when she hits the stage. She expresses and shares, "so here is music that inspires me. Being raised on 70's UK punk and rock 'n roll has really inspired me and after meeting Kei, my guitarist, and him introducing me to Japanese and other unknown rock artists (along with his awesome playing) to me has inspired me greatly as well! Stooges, Runaways, Link Wray, Velvet Underground, The Beatles, Zeke, Black Flag, Seeds, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, and Cramps are a few more known bands that have influenced and taught me greatly as well!" 


TIGER SEX had their first gig in Las Vegas at the Double Down Saloon. As Kelly puts it, "it was packed and a damn good time and we plan on going back soon!"






 
"I don't just prefer punk music but I really do love my 70's punk! I collect vinyl and have a lot of compilations of such random obscure stuff and it shows passion and whatever shitty instruments they had, they made work and let their natural talent, aggression, hate, love, everything out into the music."





Kelly puts her heart and soul into the music, as you can tell from her response. I asked her, "What do you think could get punk music out there more? And what do you think about the indie scene?" She expressed, "getting punk music out there? Honestly, being good at what you do and putting your feeling and ambition into your music will help you spread it better. Being all you can be naturally and doing what you love with passion is important... not just doing it because you can play a guitar/ bass or keep a beat or bark words but actually play with feeling, hit the shit outta those drums and sing like you mean it... to me spreading music is hard but if people like it, they will follow you."



"Music is tough because it's so hard to keep it up and keep it fresh. Indy scene? Indy music or independent scene? I've always loved the underground scenes and always will. Indy music I'm not really into, don't really understand/ know much about... I like Blues, rock 'n roll, classical and old school punk for the most part." 



They are originally from Vegas and now perform in the Cincinnati area. Kelly shares, "it's easier the travel here and we get to go to many different cities and states; Detroit, Chicago, Indiana, Tennessee, California, Nevada, Alaska, Ohio, Kentucky, just to name a few!"

TIGER SEX will be out on the road, so be sure to catch a show! 


Click on these links below to find out more information:

TIGER SEX FACEBOOK

TIGER SEX INFO

TIGER SEX LIVE VIDEOS



And, as always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment