Thursday, October 19, 2017

EDWARD SAWICKI: PRESIDENT of the CINCY BLUES SOCIETY and PHOTOGRAPHER



EDWARD SAWICKI




"I have always been very passionate about music."  


PRESIDENT of the CINCY BLUES SOCIETY
and  
PHOTOGRAPHER






I was introduced to the Cincy Winter Blues Fest in 2016 by working with a fellow friend, filmmaker and blues musician Chuck Land. The festival, along with others, is held every year by the Cincy Blues Society. I was taken back by the music and, especially the people, so much that I volunteered the following year in 2017.  Reaching out and receiving a message from the President, Mr. Edward Sawicki. We spoke on the phone and immediately I could feel his passion for music and the Cincy Blues Society. He enthusiastically welcomed me aboard to volunteer and took care of me from the moment I arrived at the Festival. Since then, I have become a proud member and have volunteered for more events. I invited Edward to be on the blog and he delightfully agreed to share his story.  



Edward's background is in Chemical Engineering and Biochemistry. For over 36 years, he has worked for Procter & Gamble, and just before there he performed "cancer research at Roswell Park Memorial Institute." He explains, "I joined P&G as a technologist, which is where I spent the first half of my career. In the last half, I lead a department buying more than a half billion dollars per year of materials." 



  "Eight years ago, I moved into our business development organization where today I specialize in deals and creating new business models that have a high technology component."







"With P&G, I have travelled extensively.   I had the opportunity to live in Germany, Belgium and Egypt, and have been to over 70 countries on the job.   Living and working abroad has been a phenomenal experience and helped shape who I am."













Edward is by far a coat of many colors. Aside from his work,  from being the President of the Cincy Blues Society, and his photography, he also teaches Tae Kwon Do. 

   "I started martial arts 40 years ago and it is a passion of mine.   Tae Kwon Do helps keep me fit, deal with the stresses of life and the job, and gives me an opportunity to teach. "  




"Teaching is and always has been a key part of who I am.   In addition to this, my other hobby is art and photography.    It is something I got away from for 40 years, but I am renewing my skills."   





"You will typically see me at music events around town with my camera.   This allows me to have fun with my artistic side while at the same time, capturing images that help promote the bands and our music events." 




Ed has lived an amazing life and along that road it has been shared with his beautiful wife Jenifer Sawicki.  In 1979, he met his wife at the University Freshman Orientation.  





Edward Sawicki (right) Graduation 1981 from the University of Buffalo



They practiced and performed Sports Acrobatics together.  Being both friends, lovers and with common interests.  Jenifer supports Edward in his love of music and photography, attending all the events and also being a member of the Cincy Blues Fest. 



They've just celebrated being married and together over 38 years.
    









Edward has much to be grateful for, he's humble and always has such a positive attitude. He takes nothing for granted. One of the highlights of his life was meeting his inspiration, Eric Clapton.



Photo by Edward Sawicki 
"Probably my earliest influences came from UK Blues Rockers as part of the British Invasion.   As a little kid, I remember first by being enamored with The Animals House of the Rising Sun.   Soon after that, I became a huge fan of Clapton and it grew from there."  










"One of the most exciting things for me was when I got invited earlier this year by a member of Clapton’s family to sit with them at  opening of his 2017 World Tour at Madison Square Garden."   







Photo by Edward Sawicki 

















"What a special experience.  Words cannot describe how much this meant to be to be part of this.  Eric was an idol of mine as long as I can remember."






Three and a half years ago, Edward became a Cincy Blues Society Board Member. A year ago, he was elected by the board members and members of the Cincy Blues Society to become President, which he truly enjoys.  When sharing about the Blues Festival I asked him how do they choose the bands that perform. He explained, "Our festival and music directors’ goals are to put on a great show.  We select by talent and aim to provide something for everyone from the very traditional to those performers who explore new territory in modern blues."  



(Left to Right) Edward Sawicki, Paul Weibel, Peter Carcieri (Vice President), Mark Bubash  





Event Flyer created by Edward Sawicki
"We all listen and share with our musicians and fans.   We go to big events like the Blues Cruises, the Big Blues Bender, the IBC Competition and Blues Awards in Memphis.   On a local basis, we are always looking for new talent (you will see me out 3-5 nights a week) and we use our annual blues challenge as a means of picking top bands.  The society has built up one of the largest challenges with 24 artists competing."






"I have a strong desire to give something back to the community.  I always felt a city with a vibrant music scene creates a great place to live."  

"Additionally, I wanted to do something that reaches out and help kids, ideally with music.   I feel blessed that my daughters benefited greatly by being part of the May Festival Youth Chorus and I was looking for something similar where I could help." 




"Being part of the Cincy Blues Society was a perfect fit."   







Doug Hart - Photo by Edward Sawicki




When he decided to be a Blues Society member he shares, "It had the music I love, outstanding musicians, an opportunity to grow the scene, and 

it offered the Blues In the Schools program mentoring young musicians and provided education."  




Samantha Fish - Photo by Edward Sawicki
             





I asked why he wanted to be President he said, "To impact the community, help to bring the society to the next level and importantly, help promote and showcase the bands in the society.   We have such great talent in our region, I want to get our musicians seen by as many people as possible."   

Davina and the Vagabonds - Photo by Edward Sawicki




Photo by Edward Sawicki

While I have met many business executives, senior government officials and more recently notable musicians, my favorite people are the normal person who simply want to talk and share a little bit of their life."















When I asked Edward, "Why the Blues?" ... 







In the most heartfelt way, he says 
"Simply the music and the people." 



(Cincy Winter Blues Fest - Radio DJ Ken Hanes, Edward Sawicki)


(Behind-the-scenes Cincy Blues Fest - Photo by Natalie ProudCherokee)




 (Lead Singer Katrina Campbell with Tempted Souls - Photo credit by Edward Sawicki) 








Photo by Edward Sawicki
"Blues is powerful in that it speaks to the soul.  It is exciting, powerful, introspective, inspirational peaceful and simply fun.  It can be so many things."











He closes out the interview with this compelling and touching story: 


"One of my favorite stories was when I was traveling in India in the late 80’s.   We were heading from a closed military town to Agra about 6 hours away to see the Taj Mahal.   Half way through, our taxi broke down in the middle of nowhere near a remote village.  We walked to the town square, and our taxi driver tried to get us ride.  The town no phones, no vehicles, no power, no one who spoke English.  It was over 100 degrees that day, so I sat down cross legged in the square and waited.  Soon all the little kids soon formed a wide circle around me.   One brave little kid timidly came up to me, and touched my face.  It was clear that he had never seen or touched someone with my complexion.  Soon all the little kids came over and we started to play games and sing songs.   We had no common language, but words did not matter. This went on for few hours, when my taxi driver came over and said the town elders walked over to the next village which had one jeep, brought it over and they drove us the remaining 3 hours to Agra.  They refused to take any compensation no matter how hard we tried, because of the kindness we displayed towards their children.  I never knew the names of all the people I met that day, but it thought me an important lesson about kindness and compassion and that richness lies within one’s heart and how people interact with each other.  

Why I share this story is that life is about making real connections.   Music is a powerful force.  It brings people together, elevates the soul and connects people in very strong ways.  Because of music, I have made more connections than I ever thought possible."


Thank you so much Ed for sharing your life, doing all you do for the community and for being on the blog. It was an honor and pleasure! 


To checkout more of the Cincy Blues Society just click on the links: 

Website

Facebook

And, as always, Thank you everyone for reading! 







No comments:

Post a Comment